Tuesday 8 September 2015

I'll Go Through The Pain Today For Tomorrow's Sake



I haven't written in a long time. In fact, it's been 3 weeks since I last wrote something that wasn't a personal statement for school application or something of the sort. The main reason is because I have spent so much time at work, thinking about work that I hardly have time for any other thing. Plus, I haven't had someone to deeply converse with in a long while and I feel it's high time I visited my counselor, this blog, again. This is where I feel most comfortable talking and writing about anything without fear or reluctance.

Like I said, since I started work on August 10, I haven't thought much about any other thing. The fact is, it's not like I spend so much time working, it's just that when I'm at work, I try to think less about other things. I work as a Social Media Marketer at Gingerbox, a fruit delivery company based in Lagos. At first, I thought I was going to work as a Content writer, for the company blog. That was the impression I had when I was to resume work. However, over the weeks, things have changed. My job requires me to do stuff I didn't know how to do before. I don't know how to sell stuff to people. I'm a teacher, not a marketer. I found it difficult to meet up with deadlines and hit targets. My incompetence was taking its toll on me. Normally, I have problems with stress management; that is, once I'm stressed out, I become agitated and irritated with myself and everything around me. In that state, I can hardly, if ever, achieve anything worthwhile. The sad thing is that it occurs now more often than before.

I thought of and talked about quitting many times, but then I changed my mind again and again. Do I feel bad that my mental strength was tested time and time again? No. I feel this is a painful process I must go through. In the last few weeks, I have come to discover the many shortcomings of Google. I used to think that Google had all the answers, but really, it doesn't. Many times I have prayed to God for inspiration but it's like He's ignoring my pleas. Frankly, I'm in a hard place right now but I'm determined to go through it and come out better. Even if it only one lesson I learn from this process, I will be satisfied.

So, there you have it. That's what I've been up to lately. What have you been up in the last couple of weeks?

7 comments:

  1. I am currently job-hunting. I had several plans that bailed at the last minute. I thought I would start my company straight out of school. It did not work out that way. I laugh at myself sometimes for thinking like that. The past two weeks have been the hardest. Several family and 'family friends' have taken it upon themselves to make negative comments that sometimes discourage me. I am learning patience. And trust in God. Every stage in life is a process, just learn from it. That's what I've chosen to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write pretty well bro and to consider ever quitting should be a NoNo hence... Mbok.
    Congratulation on your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trusting through the process...
    Hard for me to say too cuz I pass out soon and from all indications, I know that I am out for a round about kind of journey...David's time in the wilderness before the palace God promised me? yes, that's me too...

    But in all this, God keeps reminding me to #trust Him.
    Trust is a bit deeper than faith, that no matter how it turns out, I see Him and that's okay for me.

    It's hard to do so when I see no opening but when I let the truth that God's plans for me work even through the wilderness, my heart stays at peace and gratitude even when I am in the wilderness, floods my heart.

    So David, you might feel like He is bouncing your pleas, but thank God, feelings are not the real deal, the Word is the real truth.
    Grace is available to see you through and #stay trusting.

    God bless you bigly bro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one going through this. Every detail is...concurrent with my present experience. But like Frances said, trust God and work with Him to actualize those goals.

      Delete
    2. Right. It's really difficult some times, trusting God. But it's something we have to do. Trusting that the One who has brought us this far will continue to walk with us. Thank you for your comments Nnamdi.

      Delete
  4. Hey Dave, this is a only a season. It will pass.

    I like that you are determined to learn as much as you can. Please do! That is the joy in pain. The lessons we get from each season of our lives are priceless. Go through it.

    And guess what? God is right there beside you. Sometimes we don't feel His presence. But it doesn't mean He isn't with us. He is. Stay positive, David! Stay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just begun my MSc in a different land, UK..and trust me...am sticking wholly to TRUSTING God solely cause really I cant do anything without that...
    Its a new environment, snubs everywhere..., crazy expenses(esp since £1 is like 360 naira atm)...
    And I miss the fam like crazy BUT all I resort to is TRUST as Frances said..and to work hard at acheiving my academic goals esp since I resumed there.
    So hang in there...
    Remember that whatever you're going through..someone else has gone through it...and GOD is BAE...😉

    ReplyDelete