Monday 28 September 2015

I Woke Up Like This


I've been asking myself a lot of important questions lately. One of such questions that popped up when I woke up is: Is this the life I want for myself? The answer is 'no'.

A few days after I finished serving under the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Scheme, I revisited my life's goals. At that time, I had just finished reading Built to Last by Jim Collins and Jerry Porras. The book advised to create Big Hairy Audacious Goals (BHAGs), which I did. Once I had the goals written down, I made a decision to pursue them with all my heart. I realized that if I was to attain all those goals in my lifetime, I would have to start working towards them early.

I knew that attaining these goals demanded a lot of sacrifice and investment in personal and people development. This means that I am going to need to spend a lot of time building up myself and as many people as possible. This would demand a lot of reading, writing, speaking and productive thinking. Looking at my life right now, these are things I haven't done a lot of in recent weeks. Currently, I am reading John Maxwell's 'Thinking for a Change'. This book has exposed my laxity and deviation from my goals.


I have been getting a lot of feedback that life will not always be as straightforward as I expect it to be. With this, I agree. But I also know that no matter how much life throws curveballs at me, my goals are supposed to be the lighthouse that will help me through the sea storm. If I cannot use my goals as a guiding light then there was no reason I should have written them in the first place.

The good thing, however, is that my recent disappointments have brought huge, important lessons with them. I have learned the limits of my current skills and abilities. I have learned more about my level of Emotional Intelligence and my true personality.

I am determined, more than ever, to fulfill God's plan for my life. I am determined to be happy and satisfied with my life, and right now, I'm not just in that zone. But things will change. Over the next few days I will make important decisions and get back on track. Part of such decisions will be more dedication to studying and writing. I also intend to create an inner circle of great thinkers. If not that, then I must at least belong to one soon.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome decisions, dearie! Stay positive on them. I have come to understand that life gives you what you demand. As Christians, we shouldn't settle for less. If we can dream it, then we can achieve it.

    Just keep pushing through until your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great one David! your blog inspires me greatly

    ReplyDelete