Monday 15 June 2015

Sola Fagbemi Shares Her #100DaysOfGrowth Story

Entry 12 by: Sola Fagbemi (Twitter: @Solafagbemi)


When I was asked by David to write on a particular event that inspired growth in my life, I couldn’t help but ask myself if I had experienced growth worth talking about.

I’m presently interning at ‘X’. My boss asked me a simple question, “what do you do?” When he asked the question I thought about it and realized how much time I spent in the virtual world (on the internet) and how much little time I spent in reality.


This question was the doorbell that rang in my mind and made me wake up to the fact that the virtual world is not the real world. Most people reading this are probably one of the over 2 billion people in the universe that spend most or even all of their time in the virtual world. (Not too discourage anyone, YES! There are a lot of people that have constructed their success in reality via the virtual world but you just need to discover who you are)

Sometimes we get drenched in what we think is reality but really it isn’t. It is just the virtual world. In the past few days I have been inspired to want to grow spiritually, academically, financially and even in service (and yes, I have taken actual steps that would ensure growth).

I have been made to understand that the number of twitter followers, YouTube subscribers or even Instagram followers you have do not determine your worth in life. Your worth in life, is determined by how well you fulfil your purpose on earth (which also includes your contribution on earth).

How do I know? If you had 3 days left on earth, what would you wish you had done or what would you want to do with those 3 days left? I’m very sure none of you reading this answered by saying “I want to increase my twitter followers”.

Everybody should make a choice to find his or her purpose. I may not have found my purpose but I am on that journey, I have made a choice to discover what my purpose on earth is. As it is also important to know what your purpose is, it is more important to know what is not your calling (because a man who stands for nothing falls for everything). Just because you can excel in something doesn’t mean that it is your purpose (ponder on this). We should all make an effort to know what is for us and what isn’t.

Most times I want to take that bold step of self-discovery (hide myself from the word in order to discover my real self) because it is only when we know our real self that we can truly excel but because of the so many distractions that the world has it becomes hard to make a stern decision to isolate ourselves from the world and discover our real self. Most times when we look in the mirror we don’t look well enough, at times we even wish we looked like some other individual(s). What we should actually be doing is looking in the Bible to find our true self, to discover our true reflection and image.

Many at times I have been afraid to run, my heart really wants to run, my mind has already foreseen the end of the race but the will to start the race is lacking due to distractions and so on but with “This experience” I learnt I can’t keep waiting for a motivator or that hard push I need to take a step of faith and start running (It is better to walk slowly than to not run).

Many at times we look in the mirror hoping to see someone else’s image and fail to realize that our real image is the best image.  We want to be great but are too afraid to start, we keep waiting for that push, but if we keep waiting we might wait forever.

This experience has not only inspired growth but also inspired me to live in reality and also to enjoy the moment.

(PS: Have fun, Do what you love... Life is too short to not live it to the fullest... Life is even shorter to not live a life of purpose)

Sola is a YouTuber and a good friend of mine. Check out her YouTube page here: https://www.youtube.com/user/solikitan.
She also runs her own blog: https://solafagbemi.wordpress.com/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sola

    I do love your story and I can relate to it. You are right and I agree with you 100%. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete