Monday 22 June 2015

I Lost 2 Jobs, So What? #100DaysOfGrowth



Entry 14 by: Yours truly, David I. Adeleke (Twitter: @DavidIAdeleke)


Recently, I have had a lot of free time. A month ago I had 2 jobs: I was an intern at a consulting firm and was also a part-time writer for a startup (I was also earning a monthly allowance as a Nigerian Youth Service Corps member). As of now, I am officially unemployed as I was let go by the startup and I was not retained after the internship ended. Normally, this should get me worried or sad but I am not. So, for two weeks, I have barely left the house, except to go for church programmes or finalize my clearance for the National Youth Service scheme that I will pass out from in a couple of days.

It is easy for me to sit around and moan about how life is unfair to me and how things are not working out as earlier expected but I won’t do that. Being free for two straight weeks is probably the best thing that has happened to me so far in 2015. This freedom has given me the opportunity to re-plan and redirect my life and energy. Now, I get to focus on reading more, building my blog and personal brand, and developing myself. In just two weeks I have read 3 books that have helped my growth in Christ. I started a study series on the book of Romans. I also initiated the Twitter Bible Study programme.

Other people may hear that I was basically fired from two jobs in the space of ten days and ask why that happened or what I did wrong or who I offended. I even find that people bother about my situation more than I do. I wonder why. Anyways, I know what’s going on is not a setback of any kind. I feel freer right now and my life is moving at a far higher speed than it was before.
Take a cue from my experience. Not everything that happens to you (that seems negative) is really a setback. Sometimes, these things are blessings in disguise. There’s this Chinese proverb I love so much: Sai Weng Shi ma. It is derived from the folk story of a man who loses his horse and it turns out to be a blessing in disguise. Read the story here.

Learn how to look at life from various perspectives. Sometimes, life will help you make the difficult decisions just as it did for me. The aim is never to punish you, the aim is to give you a chance to work on and improve yourself. Have a lovely day.

10 comments:

  1. Sharing our story always resounds in hearts.
    God knows "howfar" even though we might not know "what's up". I have learnt to rest in that assurance.
    he has got you David!
    Great that you picked the lessons and used the time well.

    And congrats on POP soon. You are at Ibadan shey? Do one last service for your nation by being a speaker at the seminars I organize at secondary schools na?
    Funny, it just came to mind as I typed.
    It just might be able to be a reality ohh..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already clicked out when this came to me - "God just might be clearing your schedule for more to come"
    Yes!
    He always has something up His sleeves, but for now, be content to learn all He wants you to learn In this season :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I get that feeling too that He is clearing up my schedule. Honestly, it gets frustrating some days, but I know better things are ahead.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow ! God bless you for this David, really inspired me..God is working wonders in your lifeeee. Get Readyyy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This changed everything for me. I've been unemployed for 6 months now and as a high achiever I simply hate not being at work i.e an office, suit and tie, corporate goals (bla bla). I've gone from depression to resentment to Joy and trusting and back down the drain, but today's post? Wow really changed every thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Btw seeing we're both "unemployed" how could we help each other? This might be bigger than we thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I'm even just trying to enjoy my 'jobless' period. I actually need to be free of work right now. Other things will come up later :)

      Delete
  6. Hi David

    Thanks for sharing this story. It is really inspiring and you show that God will always win.

    You have a lot to offer and you are inspiration to your generation. Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate with this perfectly! Thanks for sharing David

    ReplyDelete