Monday 29 September 2014

"I Want to Hit Strides that Very Few Have Hit Before" - Simi


Simi has the voice of an angel; gentle and melodious. She’s livened the Nigerian music scene with her hit single ‘Tiff’, and ‘E no go funny’. A graduate of Covenant University and a passionate Manchester United fan, here are some things she has to tell us about her music, her motivation and her life as a star:


Please introduce yourself: your full name and family background
My name is Simisola Ogunleye Aka Simi. I’m a singer/songwriter. Last kid and only girl of four children. I’m also a graduate with a degree in Mass Communication.

How has your background impacted your music?
I didn’t really listen to much music growing up. But in my teenage years, I joined a group called ‘Outstanding’ in church. We danced, sang and rapped. That’s where I kind of nurtured my love for music.

At the beginning, you were singing gospel songs, is the release of your recent singles a pointer to the fact that you’ve gone into secular music?
Yes. I don’t sing gospel music anymore.

Do you think your style of music has had effects on your relationship with God in any way?
No, I don’t. If anything, it has made me more conscious of my relationship with God. When I sang gospel music, I guess a part of me just figured I was covered spiritually. But, that’s not the case. I loved singing gospel music. And now, I just love doing music. It’s just work – that I love.

Have your family members reacted or responded in any peculiar ways to your new style of music?
My mum throws barbs at me every once in a while, but she is absolutely one of my biggest supporters. I believe that she knows my head is in the right place and trusts me to make the right decisions.

Who has/have been the biggest influence(s) in your music career (i.e. other musicians and entertainers you look up to)?
Right now, I respect a lot of people in the industry and I would definitely like to reach and pass heights they’ve reached. But I wouldn’t really say anyone is my standard. I want to hit strides that very few have hit before. That’s the only standard I’m willing to accept.

Your song, Tiff, has been a hit, receiving massive airplay and lots of positive reviews from music lovers. Who or what inspired the song?
Writing Tiff, I guess everyone in the whole world inspired me. I wanted to write something that almost anyone could identify with. Tell everybody’s story. Falling in love is beautiful and being able to hear someone tell the story - in song - is great as well. I wanted people to feel that, listening to the song.

How has your increased popularity affected your personal life?
I’m a pretty private person. People do recognize me more now and a few people are nicer to me (Lol), but all in all, it’s the same. My closest friends and family don’t care much about the stardom. If anything, they insult me even more these days.
I think I speak for many when I ask: is there a man in your life?
Yep.

If yes, has your celeb status impacted your relationship in any way?
Like I said, people closest to me don’t see me as a ‘celeb’. They just see Simi the Goof. And I’m absolutely in love with that.

Tell us how life with X3M Music been so far?
X3M is family. I’ll always be grateful for the platform they gave me. With a great team there’s probably no height you can’t reach.
Many have referred to you as ‘different’, quoting you with the likes of Asa and 2 Face. What motivated you to be different?
I believe that if you’re not different from everyone else, no one will remember you. My producer and I are so very obsessed with the uniqueness of my music. Even if there are better singers out there, there shouldn’t be another Simi. I think this should be the motto for everyone.

Should we expect more huge hits in the coming months?
Definitely, by the grace of God.

What is your long term plan for your career? And yourself, as a brand?
I want to make Simi Soldiers out of pretty much everyone. Beyond Nigeria. Beyond Africa. Now that I think about it, Adele is a pretty good standard.

You can follow Simi on Twitter: @SympliSimi. And watch the video for her song 'Tiff' right here:

1 comment:

  1. The sky definitely will be your starting point, thank you for making good music!

    ReplyDelete