Monday 13 January 2014

Help! I'm Addicted to Watching Movies...

Someone asked me to write a piece on how to curb movie addiction so here it is. I'm not much of a TV fan so I guess I may not know much about this but one thing I know is this "where your treasure is, there your heart lies." That's the basic principle that guides this sort of thing. You've got to search deep and ask yourself: "what are my priorities? what are the most important things in my life?" Once you're able to answer this question you're on your way to freedom.
Furthermore, the more time you spend doing more important things, the less time you have to watch movies. Also, it is important that you discipline yourself and learn how to pray to God everyday and study your Bible as well. In the process of doing this you begin to gain perspective on how important times is how much you need to invest and preserve all the time you have. You haven't got all the time in the world.

Another thing you can do is to look for an activity that you can keep yourself engaged in in order to employ external disciplinary forces. This way, you are more engaged in time-profiting ventures than watching movies all day. For example, I, personally, am a slacker when it comes to discipline so what I do is that I engage in school politics, leadership ventures and other extracurricular stuff that will help my career. That way, I spend more time serving others than being selfish. That's what works for me so you have to discover what works best for you. We're all different people.
Remember, step one is to know your priorities. Step two is that you have to learn how to focus more on growing in God. Step three is to discipline yourself; internally or externally. Next, learn how to gain perspective of your life and time. Time is most valuable when you invest it well. Then you have to discover which form of external disciplinary measure or activity works best for you. That way you spend more time developing yourself and others than wiling away precious time. Don't forget, discipline is very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment