Friday 15 November 2013

IS RELIGION KILLING US?

I AM ANGRY! I AM PISSED OFF! I am disappointed that I didn’t realize this earlier. Our religiosity is killing us. We have put too much emphasis on fate, the supernatural, predestination and all that stuff and we have forgotten that whatever becomes of us is ultimately determined by what we do.
I do not deny the impact that the unknown has on life but rather, I believe that the reason some people are where they are- in the dust- is because they have left too much to religious beliefs...
Some believe that whatever happens to a man is as determined by God. Some even believe that because they believe in God, their lives will automatically come good and only good things will come their way. I challenge this notion.

Get out of your comfort zone and face reality. Life will only give back to you that which you put in. You get what you deserve. This is the truth that 3rd world countries- especially African countries- must face. Europe and the Americas are not as religious as we are, yet they are far more successful. I am not asking us to discard religion. If anything, I am asking that we make the most of our religion and virtues to surge forward. Our religion will kill us if we believe that it is enough to take us forward. Religion is not enough to get Africa to where want to be: out of obscurity. Religion can help, but will never be enough!

1 comment:

  1. Well, it matters what you call religion! I sincerely know that the Gospel is the answer to humanity's problem! The Work of Jesus has bearings on the socioeconomic linings of this World. My take is that many Christians do not understand what they have got. You see, the Gospel is more than a set of beliefs in the supernatural. It's an ideology; an ideology for the prosperity of mankind. Africa's problem is an ideology deficiency! Some of us are rising up to correct this with the Gospel as our weapon! Things will change!

    Olawunmi Abraham

    ReplyDelete