Monday 11 May 2015

Do You Really Know Who You Are? #100DaysOfGrowth

Entry 3 by Oluwatosin Agunbiade

Image Source: Btlnet

A few days ago, I was just spending time with my mother and I recalled a pressing period in my life. I asked her, “Mummy, do you remember when I told you I want to be famous?” She was so surprised, because to her back then I just said it for the fun not genuinely meaning it, but I did mean it and she always replied me, “Tosin, Daddy G.O. is famous. You can be famous just make sure it is for the right reason” Do I still want to be famous? Not really, but back then, my mind was so convinced that fame was my calling. 



One of my persistent characteristics is thinking, I have a web of thoughts that even I find surprising. I have barely lived long enough but I can say that I have learnt so much in my short journey. I grew up in a tightly-knit Christian family where I existed as I was expected. Now, this alone can be a year’s topic but for this, I want to focus more on my growth mentally. 

When a person is born into one mind, the world becomes a maze when other minds can confuse your frequency of your thoughts. 

I always try to answer the question, “who are you?” 

In a world where there is no offense or awards, who are you? 

I struggled for years to have a mind shift from doing what I am expected to do to doing what is best for me. I had to remove my mind from my comfort zone and question my potential. Just like having a new dress, you keep trying it on till it looks as good as it’s supposed to and if that doesn’t work out then that dress is most likely not for you. 

My policy in life that helps clear my mind is the fact that, everyone is a person. Everyone is out to live the best they can, we may not be conscious of it but we all have goals. Goals our heart commit to even without knowing. These goals are not necessarily what we are told are the standards, they don’t have to be. The deeper and longer a person thinks, the easier it is to become who you truly are. Does this mean that who you are now isn’t valid? No! It just means, who you are now will one day be who you were. It will be a stepping stone to where you always wanted to go. It’s all in the mind. So I’m just going to share 8 of my best ways to maintain my mental health:  


  • Religion; I am a proud Christian and I always always find solace in God, whether its personal study or fellowship it always leaves me too happy.  
  • Stick to positives; I’m not saying there won’t be negatives, just stick closer to the positives.  
  • Know how you relax; I just think. I used to feel listening to music made me relaxed because I read that a lot when I was younger but when I became an independent mind, I realized that I am at my best when I just calm down and think.  
  • Stop scoring yourself, congratulate your ‘failures’ and do better.  
  • Smile, most times the fake ones can change your emotion. 
  • Accept what you can’t change. Just bring your mind at peace with it and move on.  
  • Build a wall; now I don’t mean a wall to block people out but rather a wall to always fall back on. A friend or friends who can help trace your steps when you’re ever unsure.  
  • You have family. The moment you forget that, remember that everyone was once a baby to someone and in the end, every single person is family.

Oluwatosin Agunbiade is a Life and People Blogger. Check out her blog, www.orotos.com. You can also follow her on Twitter: @Oluwatosiin_

No comments:

Post a Comment