Tuesday 2 December 2014

How to Stay Motivated Through Tough Times

Image Source: Your Thought Partner
Recently, I went through a rough patch. I dare say it was a wilderness experience. I was on the brink of giving up on my dreams, goals and aspirations and in dire need of a jolt. All motivation to continue writing and helping people was being lost gradually. However, that’s passed now and I’ve been able to draw lessons from it. These lessons have spurred me on and have helped me remain motivated and not give up.
One thing I learned and understood (which is pretty much not a new thing) is that tough times, rough patches and wilderness experiences are inevitable. Just as you can’t avoid road bumps in Osun state or portholes on a normal Nigerian road, you can’t avoid tough times. Anyone who’s under the impression that only they are facing problems, challenges and tough times is simply deceiving himself or herself. These tough times are times when you feel no desire to go on, when it feels like God and the universe are against you and no one cares what happens to you. Some people face them more often than others. Tough times are unavoidable, but one thing is sure, like Robert Schuller’s book says, ‘Tough times never last…’. So, how does one maintain momentum during such times?


Well, I brainstormed on several ways, but in truth, only one seemed expedient and actually viable to me (not to say there aren’t other ways). In reference to the Bible, Hebrews chapter 12 verse 2 tells us about how Jesus endured the cross and despised the shame for the joy that he saw ahead, the joy of sitting down at the right hand of the throne of God. Honestly, I think the best way to keep yourself motivated through tough times is to keep in view your goals and visions or whatever it is that you are living for. This, however, is assuming you have something you’re living for. I do not believe you can motivate yourself if you have nothing you’re really living for.
Different people live for different things. For some, they aspire to become world changers, some desire to make positive impact on everyone they meet, others are satisfied with getting married and having a great family, we have those who’d love to find a good job and make good money. Whatever your goals are, you must learn to keep them in view at all times. They will serve as your driving force through easy and tough times. For me, the thought of not being able to add value to people through my words was unbearable. The thought of not being able to help people motivated me to take steps to get my groove back, and it worked. I attended a week-long programme and listened to some great audio messages. These things created a spark in me and I have continued fanning the flame since then.
Whatever you do, in whatever situation you find yourself, do not give up on your goals. Tough times will always show up to test your resolve but your visions, goals and aspirations will be the strong tower you run into for shelter during such times, they will be the harbor you aim to arrive at when the storms are raging. Don’t dare lose sight of them. Remember this: No one who gives up ever goes on to achieve anything.

4 comments:

  1. Quite true, hope I get through mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true. Hope is what keeps one motivated.

    ReplyDelete