Sunday 9 November 2014

How to Worry Profitably

Image Source: Baby Boomer Concerns
I recently came to discover something: I worry too much. At times I try to convince myself that I'm not worrying too much, I'm just thinking too much. But I haven't been able to successfully deceive myself into accepting that notion. Two weeks ago, I was reading Richard Templar's The Rules of Life and I came across a chapter that says 'It's OK to worry, or to know how not to'. The chapter explains that since the future is uncertain (no one knows tomorrow), it's only normal as human beings to be worried about stuff. I mean, there so many things we have to deal with. Everyone has got something they're worried about. From their work, to their studies, to children, to parents, to partners, and most especially money.

Richard Templar says that we wouldn't be human if we didn't worry about things at times. And I totally agree with him on this. After coming to terms with the inevitability of worrying about things, I decided to finally find a way around it. I love turning negative stuff and making them positive so I made up my mind to learn how to worry profitably. And thank goodness, I was able to devise something. That 'something' is what I want to share with you.

I assure you, it's not a spectacular solution. It's not something that will win me a literature Grammy award or a blogging Oscar nomination. It's probably something you knew before but never really paid attention to. And it's that the way to worry profitably is to take whatever it is you are worried about and create a solution to it. Voila! See, I told you it wasn't a spectacular solution.
Truth is, you cannot solve every problem that bothers you. But the ones you can solve, you've got to make attempts to solve them and I assure you you'll be happier for it. For example, if you're worried about being fired from work, or being hated by your boss, or being curved by a girl in your DMs, or about what to eat and how many children to give birth to, you can definitely do something about that. These are solvable problems. However, if you're worried about stuff like people saying bad things about you, or you're worried about encountering opposition in executing a plan or an idea, then you are actually wasting your time. Because these are things you can't avoid but you can overcome against the odds.
There are things that we pointlessly and needlessly worry about, these things are a huge waste of time and won't get us anywhere. As Richard concluded, "Worrying may be a symptom that you don't really want to do something about the problem" and that "it might just be easier to just carrying on worrying ...rather than doing something about it". So, my advice to you is that you should get off your sorry *ss and get to work. Turn your worries into profit or just turn them into dust. Cheers!

Do you have anymore 'profitable worrying' tips to share? Please do not hesitate to leave a comment below. Share your wealth of experience with us. You'll surely get a reply.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. You are right. The things we worry about sometimes are not worth it. While the ones that are worth it are best forgotten by resolving them.

    ReplyDelete