Thursday 6 November 2014

9 Things I Love About Asa

Asa by Nicolas Esposito

So this morning, I woke up to grate okra to make soup and whilst doing that I had Asa's Bed of Stone album softly from my laptop. I love Asa for many reasons which I will share in this article but Bed of Stone made me love her the more. I have been a fan of Asa for at least 6 years. Ever since I heard her first album (Asha) I knew she was something. So, in honor of this wonderful artiste and lady, I list out 9 things I love about Asa:
  1. Asa is proudly Nigerian. She sings in English, Yoruba, Pidgin English. Why won't I love her?! Personally, I am one of those who take Nigeria very personal. Believe it or not, I try hard never to say anything negative about my country. Of course there is so much negativity but I see more positives than negatives whenever I see Nigeria. Therefore, I am always drawn to people who proudly showcase their 'Nigerian-ness' and Asa is one of the musicians who does so. And she does it very well.
  2. She actually makes music and not noise. In Nigeria right now, you will agree with me that the list of noisemakers has outnumbered the list of musicians greatly. Nigeria is full of people who just jump on instrumentals and beats and start to 'yarn' nonsense. And unfortunately for the sanity and intelligence of society, people buy and listen to that crap. But for Asa, among a few other Nigerian artistes, she makes good music. Music that is standard for the world to listen to and for the average Nigerian to relate with. Thank you Asa for this.
  3. She is consistent with her message and type of music. When Asa first started, a number of people thought she wouldn't be able to hold her own and continue with the meaningful music she was making. But 7 years have passed since she released that brilliant debut album Asha and she has stayed the same. Except now she also sings about her life and personal experiences. And she still manages to make it feel like it's the listener going through what she's going through.
  4. She's true to her roots. Asa was born in Paris, and then when she was 2, her parents brought her back to Nigeria. Now, she's moved back to Paris. However, in Nigeria, she grew up in deeply-rooted spiritual atmosphere in Alagbole, South-West Nigeria. From her music, you can get this spiritual feel to some of her songs. Songs like No one knows, Grateful, and the likes have such a feel to it. While I am unsure of Asa's religious standing (and if she's religious), I do enjoy that spiritual feel to those songs.
  5. She's different; she knows it and she loves it. From her music, to her style, and even her performing name, Asa is unique. She's been so since she was little. She's quoted as saying "I was a tomboy and when I was a teenager I became very shy because people made fun of me... in my own way, I was already attracting attention. I got the habit of never doing anything like everyone else. People didn't understand my low-pitched deep voice, the choirs didn't want anything to do with me. I had to get to church first if I was to have any chance of getting near the mic".
  6. She has ties to Cobhams Asuquo. And me, I love Cobhams too much, #nohomo. Cobhams is a source of inspiration to me and many other people. So any lover of Cobhams is a friend of mine.
  7. She plays the guitar. That's my favorite musical instrument. SO any singer who plays it in their songs, I'm naturally drawn to.
  8. She speaks for me through her music. I love politics and all that but I always desist from talking about it. You'll hardly ever find me talking or tweeting about politics but I follow and observe local and global politics with great interest. So, for Asa to sing about the state of things in Nigeria and the world, she gives me a voice in some way and she expresses things in ways I never could.
  9. Asa's music is for people with taste. It's not everyone who will like her music. It's fr people wit taste. That doesn't mean people who don't like her music don't have taste o. Biko don't misquote me!


Please don't forget to share this article via social media. Maybe Asa will read it too and comment one day :D

Are you a fan or Asa and a listener of her music? Share some things you like or love about her and be sure that you'll get a response from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment