Wednesday 8 October 2014

Personality of the Week: Osarumen Osamuyi (@Skweird_)

Skweird Performing in Covenant University
Full name Osarumen Osamuyi
Date of birth April 30
Occupational Prospect Serial Entrepreneur. I want to make the world a better place to be in, one venture at a time, and make a small profit in the process. At the moment though, I run a sound design firm, named Alphabeat Group. Sound design and film score composition is virtually unexplored territory in Nigeria, so it seemed like a good place to start.

Role Model(s) Richard Branson, Hans Zimmer, Kanye West, Pharell Williams, in that order.
Who/what inspires you the most? I'm inspired most by the people who are 'crazy' enough to rebel against "conventional wisdom" in whatever field they find themselves. Doing things differently takes loads of courage and I can't help but respect people who can break away and separate themselves from public opinion. I know how difficult it is, constantly rejecting "advice" from people who should know better.
Your greatest achievement so far? People have repeatedly come up to me, to tell me how they've been inspired by my art and/or strangely, my seemingly rebellious attitude. It's been great to be able to affect people with what I do. Both as an artist/creative, and (believe it or not) as a mentor. That, I think, is my greatest achievement so far.
Best moment so far Just over two and a half years ago, a Nigerian "A-list celebrity" emailed me to tell me how much he loved my work. I can't remember feeling more appreciated in my life. Despite what anybody says, creatives feed off of the adulation or at least recognition they receive from their audiences. That's what makes it all worthwhile.
Favorite musician(s) or band(s) SkweiRd, definitely. Michael Jackson, Hans Zimmer, Skrillex, Kanye West and Pharell are close seconds.
One celebrity you'd love to have lunch/dinner with? Michael Jackson, of blessed memory. I'd like to ask him what the hell went on in the studio, the day/night he and Quincy Jones made Thriller.
First thing that attracts you to a lady I don't have any "criteria" in particular. I just am attracted to you, or I'm not. Either way, I'd let you know in the first 10 minutes.
Worst movie you've ever seen The Last Airbender, definitely. I still cringe at the thought of it. 
Turn-off/dislikes I absolutely dislike it, when people display a lack of confidence in their work, in the name of "humility". Confidence and Humility aren't mutually exclusive traits in a person.
If you could make a wish, what would it be? I'd wish more people my age realized the value that can be gleaned from reading books. Especially books that are outside your current scope.
If you could have one superhero ability, which would it be? Definitely, the ability to read minds.
Favorite cartoon as a kid I think, Dexter's Laboratory.

What annoys you most on twitter? Surely, the attitude of some people, who don't believe opinions other than theirs can ever be correct.

1 comment:

  1. This guy seems like some1who thinks highly of himself. A bit too highly.

    ReplyDelete