Friday 26 July 2013

An Interview with Don John



John Akinola is an upcoming music producer and beatmaker In this interview with Kingdom Light correspondents, he shares a bit about himself and his prospective career.

Q-Please, can you tell us your full name, a little about yourself and your background.
A – I am Akinola John Olubiyi. A Yoruba boy and 400 level student of the department of Mass Communication, Redeemer’s University.
Q – What do you do exactly – music production or beat making ?
ABoth! On some songs I make the beat and pass it on to the sound engineer and some tracks I produce it all the way. Its just a thin line that seperates both scopes.
Q – How did you start?
A – I started barely a year ago but I picked up my first music production/beat making software in 2010 which was FL studio and I started by playing around with the desire and drive to creatively put what I what I had in mind down…na so I start o, especially because I want better and Godly music.
Q- What is your source of inspiration?
A – Gods breath into my nostrils.
Q – Who is your role model?
A – I don’t have role models ; no one is doing exactly what I want and love. I only have mentors, I learn few things from their stuff. They are AYO, Timberland, Ryan Leslie, Skweird, J.R Rick Rubin.
Q – Who are the artistes you have worked with ?
A4runner, Swaggprince, Jerrie McGuire, Beemoses, Judith, Femi Adisa and lots more.
Q – Which artist would you like to work with in the future?
A – Future? Well, the whole 116 Clique, Andy Mineo, The Winans and any fresh blood.
Q – How would you rate and describe your kind of production ?
A – Presently, I rate it as unique and growing, it is all about fusion.
Q- We discovered that you only produce gospel music. Why?
A – Well, I don’t produce only gospel songs. I work on love songs too and any inspiring tune. Already done a love song with Swaggprince - End of the Road.
Q – Do you think you will be able to stick to the production of gospel music only in the long run?
A – I have told you that I don’t produce only gospel music.
Q – If you are to divert to something else apart from music production, what would it be ?
A- That will be consultancy and motivational speaking, ministry possibly.
Q – Are you currently signed to any record label?
A- No, I am not but I have a partial affiliation with Love Seed records.
Q – Where do you see yourself in the next five years in the industry?
A- In the next five years, hahaha, that one na long journey but well, before then, I will have my own running studio and my name will be on major hit songs, to be specific major gospel sensible songs in the world. By then, I would not only be a beat maker, I’d be a standard producer.
Q- Do you have any regret in life ?
A- In life? This life ? Ah, no o…, I have learned to appreciate for better things ahead. I only make sure I don’t make an error twice. I learn from everything.
Q – What is your philosophy of life?
A – Very simple. “Seek ye first the kingdom of God and its righteousness and all other things shall be added unto you”.
Q – As a Don and a very handsome young man, we know there would be a lot of pressures from the female folk. We would like to know if there is any woman in your life now?
A – Lmaoooo… you ehn? See whining! Abeg oo…Well, on a serious note, I don’t feel pressure in anything or from any angle including the female folk!!! And yeah, there are many girls in my life but only one woman – my mom.

2 comments:

  1. Nice interview.
    I'm a fan of Don John :) God bless u

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don John is just an awesome producer...I love you and I'm your biggest fan hehe!!!

    ReplyDelete